Friday, February 15, 2019

Shellac at Home


This week I shared on my instastories that I got a UV lamp and shellac polishes so I could do my nails at home.
I gave up on regular polish years ago because it doesn't stay on my nails longer than a few hours. That's when I started getting regular shellac done at the salon. I did this for YEARS but once Lucas was old enough to crawl, getting to a salon with both the kids was near impossible.

As a mom, my main priority is always my children but now that Lucas is one and I'm starting to feel like a human again, it's been so nice to start focusing on myself a bit.

You may have noticed my love for cooking and baking has reignited over the past few months (thanks to 2 naps, I do a lot of prep during nap time). AND finally, after years of letting my muscles go to mush, I am finally working out again.

When I was in my teens, there was rarely a day you would catch me without make up, a blow out and a nice outfit. Once I started university, I quickly gained a Freshman 25 (yup - 25 lbs in my first year of University), my cystic acne was at an all time high and I spent 95% of the time in baggy, unflattering clothes that aimed to cover up my new size.

At some point over that year I let go of myself and started to feel ok with feeling like crap.
I would stay up all night studying for exams that didn't get me higher than a 60% grade and writing essays that earned the same result. I was working 4 days a week at Holt Renfrew  (Thursday - Sunday) while maintaining a full course load in school.

I was exhausted.

I spent 4 years struggling for mediocre grades and lost myself somewhere in the process.

Enter motherhood; 10x harder than university with way more sleepless nights. I was perpetually tired, and my appearance showed it.

I maintained simple things like getting my nails done; in fact, that was always the one thing that made me feel good about myself when everything else felt like it belonged to someone else.

This may sound silly, but a fresh mani truly made me feel like my old self.






Since I can no longer get to the salon with 2 toddlers, I knew I needed to figure out how I could achieve the same look at home.

Thankfully, Amazon carries EVERYTHING and I was able to find everything you need  - and if you're like me, you'll be enjoying a glass of wine and an episode of The Bachelor to compliment your evening.

Thanks to tons of DM's from YOU amazing ladies, I got all the best tips to ensure you get the best at home mani.






#1. The Light 
I did SO.MUCH research before landing on this one. When I buy from Amazon, reviews are my best friend. So based on reviews - this guy won.
It can cure all types of UV and LED nail gels--e.g.Base Coat, Top Coat, Color Gel, Hard Gels, Builder, acrylic, sculpture gel, gem glue etc. No brand requirements.



#2 The Polishes 
At first, I bought this CND  colour called "Cashmere Wrap" but it didn't have prime shipping and wasn't sold by Amazon. I didn't even think to check different brands.
After I purchased, I continued to browse and found this  brand. Coming in at 1/3 of the price, I figured it was worth the try.
Boy, am I happy I took a leap of faith on that one! This colour is the most perfect pale pink. It's nice and opaque with few streaks. I did 2 thin coats to achieve the look I got on my first try.

 #3. Base Coat and Top Coat
Ok..before I even start talking about this, just know that the polish WILL be tacky on the base coat PLUS the colour polish. Once you add your top coat, everything will set. This is a no wipe top coat so once your hand comes out of that light, you're DONE!
The first time I did this, it was while sitting in the bathroom with both kids in the bath. As soon as I was done, I took them out and my nails were ready to mom.

I love this Base and Top Coat because it comes as a set AND it's prime shipping AND it's super cheap but works GREAT.

Those are the three things you don't have but need if you plan to do shellac at home.
You need a few more things that you may already have...but I'll list them here with links just in case.

Here's a Round up with links 
1. The Light 
4. A Nail Buffer  or you can get fancy and use this one
6. Acetone (you can normally find this at walmart for around $3) or this super convenient wrap that goes on your nails. At $16.99 with 200 pieces, you'll get 20 manicures out this. Definitely my top choice. 
These  wraps are easy to use and less messy than traditional acetone. 

And finally, a step by step guide to your shellac...


1. Remove polish. You can use your buffer or electric buffer to ensure your nails are clean of any polish or debris.

2. File your nails to your desired shape

3. Push back cuticles and use scissors to cut off any hang nails or dead skin 

4. Buff nails with a buffing block or electric buffer. Your nails should feel very smooth. This will make for a FAB polish application. 

5. Wash and dry your hands well 

6. Apply your first THIN layer of base coat

7. Put your hand under the light for 60 seconds (I use the 60 second button plus the heat button) 

8. Apply first THIN coat of polish 

9. Lamp for 60 seconds 

10 Apply second THIN layer of polish 

11. Lamp for 60 seconds
**Decide once you take your hand out of lamp if you want to add a third coat

12. Apply top coat 

13. Lamp for 90 seconds 

YOU'RE DONE!!! Add a moisturizing hand cream or oil to your hands to really make them look like  you just spent an hour at the salon. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Every Mom Needs an Endy - 100 Night Review

It’s been 100 nights since receiving my Endy Mattress and the results have been truly remarkable! Let’s start with the obvious – bef...